05 February 2014

iPod Touch 4G: How to Monitor Data Usage

You have an iPod Touch, not an iPhone, and you wish you could see how much data you've used like is possible on the iPhone. There are no built-in apps or settings to see the data usage over Wi-Fi, but there are third party apps that can display such information. This tutorial describes how to find, install, and use such apps on iOS 6 and 7.
  1. Open the App Store.
  2. Press the search tab.
  3. Search for "my data manager".
  4. Choose the app with My Data Manager in the title and Mobidia Technology as the author. I've found this one to work the best. The one described in this tutorial is version 3.5.3
  5. Download the app. It's free.
  6. Press the settings icon in the top-right corner, then press Views.
  7. Deselect all views except for My Data Graph or My Data Summary. The other views mostly include data usage over 3G/4G, which the iPod doesn't have of course. You can play around to see what best suits your needs.
  8. The My Data Graph, when set to month, will display each day as a bar for how much data was used. There is a total for the month at the top, and you can go several months back.